This webinar will be addressing how practice/business managers (or compliance offers) need to get their HIPAA house in order before the imminent audits occur.
It will also address major changes under the Omnibus Rule and any other applicable updates for 2022. Areas also covered will be texting, email, encryption, medical messaging, voice data, and risk factors as they relate to IT.
The primary goal is to ensure everyone is well educated on what is a myth and what is a reality with this law, there is so much misleading information all over regarding the do's and don'ts with HIPAA - I want to add clarity for compliance officers.
I will uncover myths versus reality as it relates to this very enigmatic law based on over 1000 risk assessments performed as well as years of experience in dealing directly with the Office of Civil Rights HIPAA auditors.
I will also speak to real-life litigated cases I have worked on where HIPAA is being used to justify state cases of negligence - THIS IS BECOMING A HUGE RISK!
In addition, this course will cover the highest risk factors for being sued as well as being audited (these two items tend to go hand in hand).
Why should you Attend:
- Do you have an effective HIPAA compliance program?
- New laws and funding mean increased risk for both business associates and covered entities!
- HIPAA Omnibus - Do you know what's involved and what you need to do?
- What does Omnibus mean for covered entities and business associates?
- Why should you be concerned?
- Court cases that are changing the landscape of HIPAA and patient ability to sue!
- TRIAL ATTORNEYS ARE MORE DANGEROUS THAN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT!!
It is important to understand the new changes going on at Health and Human Services as it relates to enforcement of HIPAA for both covered entities and business associates as it relates to what we need to do as compliance officers. You need to know how to avoid being low-hanging fruit in terms of audit risk as well as being sued by individuals who have had their PHI wrongfully disclosed due to bad IT or internal administrative practices.
Areas Covered in the Session:
Who Will Benefit:
- Updates for 2022
- Requirements of Compliance Officers
- New Definition of what Constitutes Protected Health Information
- Real Life Litigated Cases
- Portable Devices
- Business Associates and the Increased Burden
- Emailing of PHI
- Texting of PHI
- Federal Audit Process
- HIPAA and Suing - How this Works
- Risk Assessment
- Best Resources
- Practice Managers
- Any Business Associates who work with Medical Practices or Hospitals (i.e. Billing Companies, Transcription Companies, IT Companies, Answering Services, Home Health, Coders, Attorneys, etc)
- MD's and other Medical Professionals